Spook-tacular Fun with Fresh Produce Mascots
Posted on October 28, 2019 09:47 AM by elyons
Halloween approaches this week, but here in Salinas, we don’t need an excuse to dress up! Many Western Growers members have mascots that entertain all year long. For example, the ‘Ag Against Hunger’ (AAH) Mascot Race at the California Rodeo is an annual spectacle that raises money for the Grower-Shipper Association Foundation AAH program.
During the event, costumed “fresh produce” mascots fill the track and fiercely race toward the finish line in a sprint combined with a special challenge. The fun-filled event is a fabulous opportunity to demonstrate the generosity and leadership of Monterey County-based farms. In addition to the California Rodeo, many of these costumed “fresh produce” heroes attend events throughout Central California all year long.
Here are some of our favorite WG member farmers mascots:
- Christopher Ranch’s Herbie (a giant head of garlic that debuts at the Gilroy Garlic Festival!)
- Ocean Mist Farms’ Arti the Artichoke
- Church Brother Lettuce Maximus
- The Nunes Company Foxy the Fox
- Tanimura & Antle’s Captain T&A
- Dole has several costumed mascots: Dole Banana and Dole Pineapple
- Duda Farm Fresh Foods’ Cindy Celery and Captain Dandy
- Bengard Ranches’ Ram
- Mann Packing’s Snap Man (a very large snap pea!)
- Taylor Farms’ Choppy (name in celebration of its very popular chopped salad line)
With all the costumed produce heroes out there, the Western Growers Center for Innovation & Technology is now contemplating having a mascot, too! Maybe a computer chip or even a walking smart phone. What do you think we should be??
:::images above courtesy of the California Rodeo Salinas' Facebook Page:::