New VofV Podcast Episode – Almond Evolution: Self-Pollinating Varieties, Rootstock Gene Editing, Labor-Saving Tech
Posted on October 19, 2021 11:49 AM by WGCIT
What do pest-controlling GMO insects have in common with orchard biomass recycling? They are part of the almond industry’s effort to increase crop yield, improve water efficiency, control almond-killing pests and mitigate climate change.
In the newest episode of Voices of the Valley, Almond Board of California Chief Science Officer Josette Lewis reveals the latest research and near-term innovations that are solving the almond’s major pain points. She dives deep with podcast hosts Dennis Donohue and Candace Wilson about labor-saving tech that eliminates a step in the harvest process, almond varieties that can pollinate themselves, recycling orchard biomass to significantly sequester carbon, and using genetically modified insects to control the navel orangeworm pest.
Listen to Josette’s episode and subscribe to the Voices of the Valley podcast in several ways:
- Listen on Anchor.fm: https://anchor.fm/voicesofthevalley
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5Tc1h17nJVsSELyVdRc982
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/voices-of-the-valley/id1390019017
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zb3VuZGNsb3VkLmNvbS91c2Vycy9zb3VuZGNsb3VkOnVzZXJzOjQ1MzcwODA2My9zb3VuZHMucnNz
- RadioPublic: https://radiopublic.com/voices-of-the-valley-6V45pm
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=654171
The Voices of the Valley Podcast is hosted by Western Growers Center for Innovation & Technology. To learn more about the Voices of the Valley podcast or to be featured as a guest, contact Dennis Donohue at firstname.lastname@example.org.